The two apparent leading candidates to become the next OC for the Cowboys are the Rams TE coach Thomas Brown and Carolina’s former assistant Head Coach Jeff Nixon.
Here are some comparisons between the two:
- Age: 36
- Current position- TE Coach/Assistant Head Coach for the Rams.
- Former OC at Univ. Of Miami in Florida.
- Played college football at Univ of Georgia as a RB
- Played 3 years in the NFL for Atl and Cleveland 2008-10.
I like the fact that Brown is young and has been on Sean McVay’s staff and has studied that offense- one of the most modern and innovative offenses in the league. Their passing game is the kind of upgrade we need with our passing game and route trees.
- Age: 48
- Most Recent Position: Assistant HC for Carolina 2020-22
- Has been a WR/RB coach for the eagles, a RB coach for the dolphins and a TE coach for the niners.
- Former Co-OC at Baylor under Matt Rhule
- Played college football at Penn State and West Virginia. Did not play in the NFL.
Nixon has had more experience as a coach. I’m not as familiar with the offensive philosophies he has been aligned with. He’s coached under NFL HCs Tony Sparano, Todd Bowles, Jim Harbaugh and Matt Rhule.
Both of these coaches have excellent backgrounds. It will be interesting to see if the Cowboys have anyone else on the radar.
Discuss this on CowboysZone (62 comments)