Speaking of the cap, one of the absolutes that must happen to allow us to be more aggressive is to let go of the dead weight this team carries. Tyron Smith has to go. Love the guy but you can’t pay a player who plays part time the millions we pay him. And no, he does not have trade value because he’s missed 44 games in 6 yrs. Zeke has to go too. Parting ways with those two alone saves $20 mil of cap space. And there will be some other space gained too by letting Dalton Schultz walk.
So in addition to hope for another excellent draft, here are some FAs I would be looking at who may not be household names but worth a look to bring improvement to several areas:
- DI Dre’Mont Jones- 26- a 3rd round pick in 2019 in Denver, Jones is an excellent interior defender against the run and pass.Had career highs in pressures and sacks.
- DI Daron Payne- 26. A run stuffing interior monster who may be too costly. A former first round pick in Washington, his ability to disrupt the middle is just what the Cowboys need.
- CB Cam Sutton- will be 28 soon. Has played CB in Pittsburg since 2017 and has excelled the last 2 years. Can cover the slot and wide. With the age and injury on Anthony Brown, this could be an upgrade.
- G Issac Seumalo- a 29 year old G who has had a great year in Filly. A great run blocker and decent pass protector. With the likely departure of Connor McGovern this could be an upgrade.
- DI Sheldon Rankins- 28 year old who was originally drafted by the saints in 2016 but played for jets last yr. He had his best year ever in 2022 with career highs in sacks and tackles.
- WR Mecole Hardman- 25 year old speedster who has made a name for himself in KC. Has 4.3 speed- something we sorely lack at WR. He was injured at midseason this year but should be good to start the year.
This is a very incomplete list. I intentionally picked FAs who were still young but also not at the top of the FA cost list. But it gives us some ideas on what’s out there. We cannot have another lazy off-season!