In Tampa last night, several role players stepped forward with a nice game. Jayron Kearse, Israel Mukumu, Tyler Smith, and Jake Ferguson all made major contribution. One role player was also a disaster last night- Brett Maher. He better get his head right or he could cost us a playoff game.
Here are some role players from the past who were huge in playoff games for the Cowboys:
- DE Willie Townes- 1967 Ice Bowl game vs packers. He sacked Bart Starr causing a fumble which George Andrie did a scoop and score.
- RB Walt Garrison- 1970 NFC championship game vs SF. Garrison played that day with a cracked collarbone and rushed for 71 yards and also had 51 yards receiving and a TD helping the Cowboys win their first NFC championship.
- RB Robert Newhouse- 1977 threw a TD pass to WR Golden Richards on a trick play in the SB XII Win over Denver.
- LB Mike Hegman – sacked Terry Bradshaw in SB XIII then stripped him for a fumble TD.
- DB Bill Bates– 1991- sealed WC road playoff win against Chicago with an interception.
- DB James Washington– 1993- In SB 28 vs Buffalo, turned the game around with a fumble recover scoop and score.
- DB Larry Brown– 1995- had two huge interceptions vs Pittsburgh in SB 30. Won SB MVP.
This is a very incomplete list. All of these guys were role players that made huge plays in key moments. Who will step up vs SF this coming Sunday?