One of the biggest mistakes most fans make- I’m guilty of it too at times- is to watch one game and declare what a team will be the rest of the season.
You know how it goes. Team looks bad on opening day and fans project that’s what will happen all season. OR- after starting 3-0, fans start planning the SB parade route. Both are silly in light of what can and will happen in a long 17 game NFL season.
After 6-8 games, you can get a general feel for a team’s potential but it’s still too early to know which teams are “great” and will do well in the playoffs.
So here are a few football truths about teams:
- Teams develop over time. Especially young teams. What they are in Sept is usually not what they will be in December. Good or bad.
- In 2021, the rams were 6-4 after ten games, and had lost 3 straight. They developed into a SB winner.
- In 2020, the buccaneers were 7-5 after 12 games and did not win their division. But they did go on to win the SB that year.
- In 2019, the chiefs were 6-4 after 10 games. Mahomes was only in his second year as a starter. Then he and the team developed into something special all the way to a Lombardi.
- Teams have to learn how to play together. Teams that win in the playoffs aren’t just a collection of great talent. They are talented players who have learned to be a TEAM.
- The Cowboys are young. They are developing lots of young players. What they are now is probably not what they will be in Dec- if they are developing as a TEAM.
One thing I believe strongly- the eagles are not as good as they have appeared the first half of the season. I believe we can beat them in Dec and in in the playoffs if we get the chance because we are a team with some young developing players that are only going to get better.
Just remember- Talented TEAMS win in the playoffs not teams with the most talent.