Bostick is going to compete with last year’s 5th round pick, Matt Waletzko to become the 4th OT on the team, behind Smith, Smith and Steele. The plan is to start Tyler Smith at Left Guard, and both Richards and Bass will compete with recently signed veteran free agent, and former 3rd round pick of the Jets, Chuma Edoga, and 2021 7th round pick Matt Farniok for backing up the two guard and Center positions.
If Steele cannot start the season opener, or if Tyron or Steele gets injured, Tyler Smith will kick out to Tackle, and one of the backups will quickly become a starter.at Guard. The interesting thing about all the Cowboys projected interior linemen is that, other than Biadasz, they all played Offensive Tackle in College.
- RG Zach Martin (6’4", 315 lbs) – started 52 games at Left Tackle for Notre Dame
- RG Matt Farniok (6’5", 311 lbs) – started 14 games at Right Tackle, 9 games at Right Guard, and 1 game at Center for Nebraska
- RG T.J. Bass (6’4", 317 lbs) – started 6 games at Left Guard, and 21 games at Left Tackle for Oregon
- LG Tyler Smith (6’5", 320 lbs) – started 23 games at Left Tackler for Tulsa
- LG Chuma Edoga (6’3", 308 lbs) – started 26 games at Right Tackle, and 2 games at Left Tackle for USC
- LG Asim Richards (6’4", 309 lbs) – started 38 games at Left Tackle for North Carolina
- LG Josh Ball (6’6", 304 lbs) – stared 9 games at Left Tackle for Florida State, and 8 games at Left Tackle for Marshall
Obviously, Martin and Smith are the starters. But after that, do you really care which players win the primary backup jobs at Left and Right Tackle?
As for the rookie, Richards, Bass and Bostick, do you care about their draft status? I don’t. If Bostick can beat out Waletzo for the swing tackle backup position, more power to him. And it doesn’t matter to me if Bass beats out Richards. Once the players are here, I’m not too worrried about giving the draft picks a better chance than the undrafted players. The coaches should only be concerned about picking the best players. Former Draft picks like Ball, Waletzo and Edoga, and current 2023 draft pick Richards don’t get any awards from me for being drafted, over players like Bass and Bostick, or last year’s undrafted center Alec Lindstrom. Let the competition on the field decide who wins. I don’t care about the Cowboys "reputation" for wasting draft picks. And I don’t think anyone should care.
The Cowboys drafted WR Danny Coale the same year they signed undrafted WR Cole Beasley. Obviously keeping Beasley was the right choice. Cowboys starting Rigt Tackle Terence Steele went undrafted out of Texas Tech in 2020, but has developed into a better than average right tackle in the NFL. So, for me, looking at our rookie offensive linemen, I don’t care about their draft status. I wish them all well, and hope we find a gem who can be a future started for the Cowboys – drafted or not.