Entering 2023, there are several veteran players who need to step up their performance this summer or face the prospect of being cut. In my book these are the veterans squarely on the cut bubble:
- Kelvin Joseph– as he enters his 3rd season, KJ has been a major disappointment. His play on STs has been very good but as a 2nd round pick he should have already been a starter. When Anthony Brown went down last year, he had his opportunities but was far less than reliable. DeRon Bland has passed him and so has versatile Israel Mukamu. And the addition of Stephon Gilmore makes even more in danger of the cut knife. The physical skills are there but the bust clock is ticking.
- Jabril Cox– drafted in the 4th round two years ago, Cox was seen as a steal. Two seasons later, Cox has been a disappointment. His pass coverage skills were supposed to be his strength but he has not shown enough to be reliable. DeMarvion Overshown is now the young LB with more raw talent than Cox. Like Joseph, he’s on a very short leash.
- Neville Gallimore– unlike the previous two players mentioned, Gallimore he has earned some decent playing time. Going into a contract year, he’s been ok just not good enough to warrant a second contract. The drafting of Mazi Smith underscores that.
- Jourdan Lewis– Lewis has been a very good player for several years. His foot injury last year ended a good season early for him But he’s more expensive and the development of Israel Mukamu has made him a bubble guy in my book.
- Jalen Tolbert- early reports from OTAs has Tolbert being greatly improved. Last year was a complete disappointment for a guy drafted in the 3rd round. He cannot afford another bad TC.
Who else? Who’s on your list of guys in danger of a visit from the Turk this year?